Our world is broken. All around us, we see heartache, despair, and pain.
The needs of our world can be overwhelming and often it can be a struggle to knowing what we should do.
The one thing we can do is pray. Prayer is powerful. Chris Rappazini writes in the Today in the Word devotional, “Even though it may take years to see an answer, you can be assured that your prayers are being heard.” God hears your prayers; and it is important that you pray. But where do you start? Here are a few prayers to help you begin:
- A Prayer for the Lost: Dear God, I pray for a world that doesn’t know you. I pray for those who are lost. God show yourself to those who don’t believe. Allow me to be a source of your light to those who need you. Help me to lead people to you. Help me tell others about you and have the words they need to hear. I pray for the loss that if not by me, something or someone else will intervene in their life and direct them to you. I pray for divine appointments all across the world today. God, I pray for the world to know you. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: 1 Timothy 2:1–7)
- A Prayer for Physical Illness: Dear God, I pray for the sickness in our world. I pray for those suffering from COVID-19. I pray for those suffering from cancer. I pray for those suffering from heart disease. I pray for those suffering from any form of sickness or ailment. If it is your will, I pray that you heal them, Lord. I ask that you be with them, comfort them, and provide them with peace. Be with their families that are struggling as they watch their loved ones suffer. Provide them with love and a sense of hope. God, I pray you heal our world. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: James 5:13–15)
- A Prayer for Mental Illness: Dear God, I come to you with a heavy heart. I pray for those battling mental illness. I pray you give them strength to keep fighting. I pray they know that they are loved, wanted, and valued. I ask that you bring a community around them that is godly, loving, and understanding. I pray that they are able to get the help they need. Provide them with the right tools to begin healing. God, I pray for their families whose heart aches for their loved ones who are suffering. Give them the strength to keep fighting too. Be with those who are suffering and let them know that you are there. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Ephesians 6:16-20)
- A Prayer for Justice: Dear God, You are a God of justice. You care for those who are oppressed. You love those who are marginalized. I pray for justice and redemption in this world. Help me to know what is wrong and what is right. Help this world to know what is wrong and what is right. Provide peace and hope to those who are suffering from injustice. Show them that you are there, and you care for them and that you will make all things right. God, I pray for a world full of love and compassion. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Proverbs 21:15)
- A Prayer for Poverty: Dear God, So many people are suffering from poverty. God, I pray for those today who are experiencing financial needs. I pray for those who don’t have enough food to feed themselves or their families. I pray for those who don’t have enough money for healthcare or medicine. I pray for those who don’t have a home, or who have recently just lost their home. God, I pray that you will provide for these needs. Provide for their physical needs, as well as their spiritual needs. Let them know that you are there. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Proverbs 29:7)
- A Prayer for Peace: Dear God, Our world is torn with war and violence. I pray that you provide this world with a peace that is only found in you. I pray for those who are suffering from the results of war and violence. I pray you provide them with both physical and mental healing. I pray for an end to these wars and acts of violence. I pray for your redemption. I pray for an end to all of the division between individuals, groups, and nations. I pray for your healing. I pray for an end to all the trauma and hurting. I pray for your love to reign over all. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Hebrews 12:12–14)
- A Prayer for Broken Families: Dear God, There is so much brokenness in this world. Please be with each family that is suffering. I pray you keep families united, loving and seeking you. I pray for reconciliation. I pray for each individual whose family has been torn apart by divorce, abuse, abandonment, drugs, alcohol, death, and any other circumstance. I pray that they are able to find hope in you. I pray for the families that are on the verge of being torn apart; I pray that you heal them. I pray for those who don’t have a family. Let them find a loving, kind, and supportive family. Allow them to find a family within the kingdom of God. Provide them with comfort only you can supply. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Psalms 15–18
7 Good Prayers for a Troubled World
John 14:1, Psalm 46:10
Heavenly Father, Your Word says, “let not your heart be troubled”. The state of our world is causing us to be troubled, but God you know all things. So, we pray for every country and nation. We pray that you will give peace that comes only from You because we live in a very broken world. Grant healing and complete stillness in the midst of terror and violence in Jesus Name. Be still and know that I am God in this troubled world, Amen.
2 Chronicles 7:14
Dear Lord, we are living in a troubled world and the ever increase in crime and violence within our cities and among youth and children is rising. But if my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Lord, we pray this pray, trusting and believing that You will forgive us of our sins and that You will bring healing to this chaotic world, Amen.
Oh Lord, Your Word reminds us that, the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. So, Father, we ask that You destroy the hatred and contentions from the hearts of our youth and children that is on the increase. Lord, let your love reign in them and let those who are influenced by darkness be opened to Your love, Amen.
Dear Lord, I pray that You will raise up more men and women to preach and share the good news in this troubled world. Father raise up those who will not be afraid to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Uncover the spiritual eyes of sinners of this world, that they may see the irradiating light of the gospel of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
Heavenly Father, we pray for divine intervention and God’s protection from violence, over every family in our towns and cities. We intercede for the victims of gun and knife crime. In the name of Jesus, we pray for and with other believers as we openly voice our prayers and commitment against the onslaught of gun and knife crimes within our cities and communities, Amen.
Dear Lord, we pray for our troubled world. There is so much that we need to pray and intercede for. We pray for those carrying the spirit of anger and vengeance. We pray against the spirit of persecution that has been released in our world. Lord, just as Saul encountered a Damascus road experience, God we pray for those who are committing sinful crimes, that the spirit of murder be destroyed. I pray that suddenly there will be a light from heaven that shines around those who do not know You, Lord we ask all this in Your Name, Amen.
Ephesians 6:12, 2 Chronicles 5:14b
Dear Father, we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities against powers against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. So right now, Lord, I ask that You sabotaged all forces of evil over this world. Let the King of Persia be nullified and let Your Holy Spirit fill this world, just as the glory of the Lord filled the house of God, Amen.