No 5 Alexander Claude Fraser
Claude 4th child and second son of Alexander and Jane Fraser was born on the 8/10/1895 Lagoon Flat , died 11/7/1915, Garrison Hospital, Victoria Barracks, Paddington Sydney NSW
Cause of death : Lobar Pneumonia and Meningitis
Buried Rockwood Necropolis, Presbyterian Section 5B 7694
Service No – Enlisted 22/6/1915 Rank private
Unit 8th Reinforcement, 1st Battalion
Next of kin-Mrs Jane Fraser, Lagoon Flat Qld
Family military connection-Brother Donald Albert Fraser K.I.A. 3/2/1917, Somme France
Oath taken 23/1/1915, Liverpool NSW
Description of Alexander Claude Fraser on Enlistment
Height 5 feet 101/2 inches
Chest Measurement 33-35 inches
Medical Examination at Inverell 15/1/1915
Written on a plaque Texas Sub-Branch RSL Wall
Lest We Forget
WW1 ‘ Their Name Live Forever More’
There was talk at the time that a German sympathizer doctor had injected and killed many soldiers with meningitis and Claude was one of them. This was later confirmed.
Private Claude Alexander Fraser
|Birth Place||Australia: Queensland, Texas|
|Death Date||11 July 1915|
|Death Place||Australia: New South Wales, Sydney, Liverpool|
|Service||Australian Imperial Force|
|Units||Australian Imperial Force 1st Australian Infantry Battalion|
|Conflict/Operation||First World War, 1914-1918|
Victoria Barracks is an Australian Army base in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Victoria Barracks is located in the suburb of Paddington, between Oxford Street and Moore Park Road. It is just north of the Moore Park, the Sydney Cricket Ground and Sydney Football Stadium. Victoria Barracks houses the Headquarters Forces Command.
Listed on the Commonwealth Heritage List in 2004, the site contains one of the most important groups of Edwardian military buildings in Australia. The Army Museum of NSW is housed in the original District Military Prison, constructed in 1847. It is open to visitors on Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and the first Sunday each month (by appointment) from 10:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. The museum is closed during December and January. Tours of the Barracks precinct are conducted by the Corps of Guides on Thursdays starting at 10:00 a.m.
The Australian Army Band Sydney is located at Victoria Barracks.
The Regency style main barracks building was constructed of Hawkesbury sandstone by convicts between 1841 and 1846. The first building completed was the Officers’ Quarters which was completed in 1842.
The Main Barrack Block was completed in 1846 and was designed to accommodate 650 soldiers. The bell and clock were added to the building in 1856. The barracks were originally occupied by regiments of the British Army. The British troops vacated the barracks in 1870. The barracks was the premier military training site in Australia for many years, from its completion until after Federation in 1901.
The bungalow was built in 1847 as the Barrack Master’s Residence. The Garrison Hospital was built in 1845 to accommodate 36 patients. During the 1930s it was converted into an Officers’ Mess.
The gate on Oxford Street is referred to as the Queen Victoria Gate, while the gate on Moore Park road is known as the Convict Gate. Busby’s Bore, was Sydney’s second water supply, built by convicts between 1827 and 1837. An access shaft is located at the museum.
For a brief period during the 1930s Victoria Barracks was home to the Royal Military College, Duntroon, when the College was forced to close its buildings in Canberra and relocate to Sydney due to the economic downturn caused by the Great Depression.